In 2011, NET landowners and maintainers Sam and Barbara Richardson donated a Conservation Restriction to the Town of Northfield on a 38 acre lot on Stratton Mountain. This cabin was built by Appalachian Mountain Club Western Massachusetts Chapter volunteers in the Fall of 2011 and the Spring of 2012, whose combined efforts contributed over 1000 hours of work. The name “Richardson-Zlogar” reflects the special efforts of one volunteer in particular-Mike Zlogar, who proved him self invaluable throughout the course of the project. Mr. Zlogar is also a long-time NET/M-M Maintainer.
In 2022, Sam and Barbara sold their 38 acre lot to Mount Grace Land Conservation Trust.
COST: There is no charge for using the Richardson-Zlogar Cabin on the NET, but a suggested donation of $3 per person
can be placed in the donation box inside the cabin for continued maintenance and improvement.
PARKING: Parking is available at the Trailhead at the power line at the top of Alexander Hill Rd. The cabin is an easy 10-minute hike, south, along the NET to the cabin.
FACILITIES: There is no electricity, running water, or stove in the cabin. A Porta-Potty will be on site until the moldering privy is
TENT PLATFORM: There are currently two tent platforms.
RESERVATION AND GROUP SIZE: The cabin and tent platforms are available for separate reservations. Please see the Reservation Policy tab for more information and the reservation calendar.
FIRE PIT: Fires are permitted only in the constructed fire pit. Please cover the fire pit after fire is completely out.
TRASH AND GARBAGE: This shelter has a CARRY IN – CARRY OUT policy. Take your trash/garbage with you.
CELL PHONE SERVICE: Verizon service is good in the area; AT&T is sometimes spotty.
EMERGENCY: Medical: 911. Police: (413) 498-5118. Dispatch: (413) 625-8200. Fire: (413) 498-5100
AMENITIES: In Northfield, a 5-mile hike, west, on Alexander Hill Rd, there are restaurants, an ice cream shop, a
grocery store, a convenience store, and a B&B.
Northbound, the next trailhead after the power line at the top of Alexander Hill Rd. is about 2 miles of easy hiking at Bass Road (formerly called White Rd.) in Warwick. The next shelter, northbound, is about 4 miles beyond the Bass Rd Trailhead, on the north side of Mount Grace.
Southbound, the next trailhead is on Gulf Rd, a moderately challenging hike (about 3 miles), along the NET from the cabin. The distance to the next shelter from the cabin is about 15 miles, located near Ruggles Pond in Wendell State Forest.
Reservations are Required
- Our caretaker will email you details about your stay, including the access code to unlock the cabin, prior to the day of your reservation. If you book the cabin more than a month in advance, you will not hear back with these details until the month of your reservation.
- We kindly request reservations be made at least one week in advance to ensure all required information is received by our caretakers, and those staying. If reservations are made with less than 24 hours of notice, we cannot guarantee access to the cabin.
- Reservations made more than six months in advance will not be approved.
- The maximum occupancy of the cabin is 8 people.
- You must be 18 years or older to make a reservation.
- There is a $3 per person recommended donation for stays.
- Persons/groups stay is limited to two consecutive nights.
- Only reserve your check-in date. Checkout is at noon on the following day.
There are two tent platforms and one cabin. See availability below: