NET Hike 50 Challenge
35,500 miles hiked in 2 years of the Hike 50 Challenge!
Over the last two years almost 600 participants have completed the challenge, logging over 35,500 miles on the New England Trail! You heard that right, over 35,500 miles or points earned by you through hiking, volunteering and exploring! Thank you for choosing the NET over and over again for your adventures.
In 2018 we celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the National Trails System with our first 50 mile challenge. In 2019, we built upon this by adding an extra 100 mile challenge to highlight the 10 year anniversary of the designation of the NET. Read below to learn how we are adapting the challenge for the 2020 season! New year! Updated challenge!
Launching the 2020 Hike 50 and 100 Challenges
You read that right! The challenge is back for 2020! Join the challenge. Revisit the same mile 50 or 100 times, or explore a new mile every time. Log your mileage over the year and once you complete your challenge share your story with us!
** Hiking in the time of COVID-19. The New England National Scenic Trail remains open! Please check the website of the area you plan to visit to see if the property owner has any restrictions in place. To read more about guidelines set out by CFPA, AMC and NPS, please visit our Closures and Notices page.
** For the month of April, all miles will count towards the challenge! In an effort to encourage safe physical distancing and limit the spread of COVID-19 all miles hiked will count. This includes miles on a treadmill, miles in your backyard, your neighborhood. Get creative and stay safe!
Starting your 2020 Hike 50 Challenge is easy!
- Step 1: Click here to sign up now for the 2020 challenge and to be entered into our first prize drawing. We will send you updates throughout the year and you will be entered in random prize drawings! Keep an eye out for charming but infrequent correspondence.
- Step 2: Download tools for your Hike 50 NET Challenge. Flyer, Point Log Sheet, Kids Log Sheet, Bingo, Printable “I completed the Hike50 Challenge” certificate for completion photos! (Download and share with your community).
- Step 3: Take a look at our online map and start planning your 2020 adventures! The trail awaits. If you don’t know where to start or don’t want to hike alone, take a look at our suggested hikes or visit our online calendar of events.
- Step 4: Finish the challenge by Dec. 31, 2020 and submit your completion using the links above! The last day to submit your miles for 2020 will be January 6, 2021. Be sure to submit a photo or story with your completion so that we can highlight it on our website!
- Step 5: Share your adventures with others on social media using the hashtags #Hike50NET, #NewEnglandTrail or #FindYourTrail. Show us your pictures and your stories! Follow us on Instagram and Facebook. If you tag us you may see your pictures and stories featured on our pages.
The rules of the challenge are simple! Anyone who hikes 50 or 100 miles on the NET during the 2020 calendar year will receive a patch and certificate. Hiking however, is not the only way to earn points and complete the challenge. This year we welcome you to design your own Hike 50 Challenge in a way that fits your lifestyle! We’ve come up with a list of alternate ways to earn points and celebrate our trail. Look here to learn about all of the ways you can earn points and receive a patch! In addition to receiving a patch upon completion, AMC and CFPA in partnership with NPS will be offering prizes and free resources for those who sign up for the challenge, and a grand prize drawing at the end of the year!
Hike 50 Challenge FAQs
Wow! Way to go! If you have completed the 50 miles, we encourage you to challenge yourself to complete 100! There will be additional prizes and recognition for those who earn 100 points. In addition to the 50 miles, we are challenging people to Hike50, Volunteer50, and Donate50! Keep an eye out for additional challenges we release throughout the year.
No they don’t! We want this challenge to fit your life as best as possible and encourage people to get on the trail! If someone hikes the same 5 miles over and over, equal to 50, that will count. Skiing and snowshoeing also count!
Wow! You’re an impressive hiker! We are not handing out extra patches to those who complete the Hike100 challenge but we will be providing an extra completion prize! If you’re really loving this program, think about thru-hiking the NET.
No. But we recommend that you do so that you don’t miss out on cool prizes and tips! Also, by signing up, we get a better sense of how many visitors are on the trail!
Your kids can absolutely get a patch. There is no age limit! Every member of your family who hikes 50 miles or earns 50 points on the New England Trail in 2020 is eligible to earn a patch. Keep an eye out for information from us about kid-friendly NET activities! As much as we love your dogs, the patch is only for people.
We are offering a digital toolkit for those who sign up for the special Hike 50 email list. However, there is no right or wrong way to track your progress. Whether you use our log sheet, create a spreadsheet, use an app or write them in a notebook we are just happy that you are joining us on the trail!
We are so excited that you are exploring the outdoors, however, only miles hiked along the New England Trail will count towards this challenge. There are some small connector trails within the New England Trails system that are the exception to this rule. Check out the online map here.
Didn’t find what you were looking for here? Feel free to reach out to us via email and we will be happy to answer your Hike50 related questions.